Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Yes, there was a holiday letter.

 The Smith holiday letter 2021 had a much smaller distribution list, as you will understand below.  As it's now several (or 3) months later, herein is the hertofore embargoed letter:


December 2021

The Lost Biblical Book of Russell (Job’s fourth cousin, thrice removed.  Twice for cause, and once for a misunderstanding over an ox).

And the Lord said unto his personal assistant Jim, “Jim, it doth been many centuries since I have tested a believer’s faith in me.  Bring unto me the name of someone I can fucketh with, as a test of his faith.”

And Jim said unto the Lord, “Have I got the guy for you!  Lo, his name is Russell.”

And the Lord asketh, “Is he a good Christian man?”

Jim respondeth,” Um, no.  He seems to be Jewish.  Possibly also Unitarian.  And may even be an atheist.  I found all of this on the internet.  And, by the way, THAT was an amazing invention, big guy!””

And the Lord commanded “Hit him with my best wrath.”

And so begins the trials of Russell.  Which technically started in 2019 with a brain tumor, continuing into 2020 with the end of Chemo and the global pandemic.

“Jim?”

“Yes, big guy?”

“What should we start with?”

“Let’s give him a second form of cancer, something in his plumbing.”

And thus did the holy colonoscopy reveal colon cancer in March.  Leading to surgery in April.  Which removed the colon cancer.

“Well, that didn’t do much, Jim.  What else you got?”

“Well, sir, he’s vaccinated, but I could give him a breakthrough CoVid case.”

“Bring it.”

And thus did Russell get a breakthrough CoVid case, with a bonus sinus infection.  But both cleared quickly.

“Jim, looks like he is still standing.”

“Sir, just wait.  I’m not done.”

And thus did the stone manifest itself in his kidney to causeth pain and discomfort.  But this too, passed.

“Jim, are you sure you are up for this?”

“I was considering scurvy next.  But he drinks a lot of margaritas.  I doubt scurvy would stick.”

“Jim, do NOT incur my wrath.”

“I have one more thing.  We could break up his 25-year marriage.”

“Well, that sounds better than smiting someone or something.  Unless he has cattle.  Does he have cattle I could smite?”

“No sir.  He did have a lovely cattle dog named Blossom.  But she died a few years back.”

“Oh, I remember Blossom.  She was a good dog.  No way I smite any creature that amazing.  So, smiting is out.”

“He still has difficult cats.”

“But wouldn’t smiting them help him?”

“Fair point, sir.  Guess we’ll have to go with the marriage thing.”

And thus did Jill and Russell agree-eth to part ways in 2022.

“And make him keep one of the cats.”

“Sir, haven’t we done enough to him?”

“OK, we can end here.”

And here endeth the Book of Russell, 2021. 

 

The children he begat had good years.  Kaileigh, the eldest, moved from projects with raccoons and opossums in South Carolina to bears in the Everglades, and finally back to raccoons and opossums as she explores graduate school options.

Twin A (or Alex, as she is now called), is finishing up year 3 of college at Loyola in New Orleans.  She has enough credits that she graduates in May 2022, and is considering next life steps. She moveth the crazy orange cat Leo to New Orleans, where he is leading his best cat life.  He even got to travel the south with New Orleans evacuees escaping hurricane Ida, becoming for a handful of weeks “Florida cat.”

Twin B (Abby) is also is her third year of college at Trinity in San Antonio, but will go all four years before moving on.  She has moved from Chemistry to Physics to Quantum Physics and is presenting at conferences and continues to dance and sew.

Russell is still leading Refugee Services of Texas, and he and his organization are neck deep with Afghans these days.  After the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan, tens of thousands of Afghans were displaced and in need of a new home.  After four years of low resettlement under Cheeto Voldemort, his agency is growing and expanding at a rapid pace.  He taught one class at UT this year, and was excited to be back in the classroom. He joined the board of Regarding Cancer, a small, young non-profit in Austin who provide peer support to people getting cancer diagnoses and their family members.  Something he can relate to.

He is heading to Hawaii after Christmas with his brother, his brother’s family and their friends.  He will be spending his 25th anniversary there.  Ironically, at 25, the gifts start back over.  So, like the first anniversary, 25 is “paper.”  Sadly though, it’s “Papers served.”

I guess I can switch to first person here, after the divine narrator and third person.  I am unsure what the future brings, with my health and now, pretty much everything else.  Lots of things will be different, even though Jill and I will continue to be close, and continue to have amazing kids.  But, for at least now, I wanted to continue to have a holiday letter, if only to my peeps, and even if it is the last one.  I wish all happy holidays and a great 2022.  I certainly need a great 2022.  2021, much like its predecessor, kinda totally sucked.

Love,

 

Russell

8106 Greenwich Meridian, Austin, Texas 78759

Russell:  russasmith@aol.com; 512-627-8699

Russell’s blog:  http://cornerpieces2.blogspot.com/


1 comment:

  1. Russell,

    What an amazing letter. Thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations during the last two years! My husband, Joel (akin to the minor prophet!) had a similar story for the last two years from mid 2019 to August 2021 when he died. I cannot say that I know how you feel, and there really are no words to express the empathy I have for what you have been through. Although we have never been close friends, I am a good listener and if you ever just need someone to listen, just let me know. I hope that this year will bring you a fantastic new vision of your life, post cancer, post marriage that will leave you with amazing happiness and crazy with joy!
    Teresa (Teri) Shapiro

    ReplyDelete

Bucket List

 With time now awaiting, seems like I need a bucket list.  There are domestic and international trips to take, people and places to. See at ...